Y’all, it’s SUMMER! WOW! Well, I think it technically starts on June 21st but we’re in Texas so I’m just going to say it’s summer already.
One day a few weeks ago I was like “I want a hammock” so I ordered two (because I knew the kids would fight over it if we just had one) and my husband put together this cute set up for us!
My kiddos have been loving it and they usually use it to curl up with a great playlist or a wonderful book.
This summer I’m also using them to help continue to strengthen that love of reading in my 9year old. See, she loves books – as much as this whole family does, but she struggled a bit to learn to read so she almost feels embarrassed to dive into a book. Like she is fearful she won’t “get” it and she’ll miss out on a good story! I have to say though, that she has yet to face a book she can’t read, so this is truly just an internal hold-back from her initial struggle to learn how to read.
So, I’m officially declaring this summer the book-in-the-hammock-summer.
In full disclosure, Sonlight set us this book set that I’ll be sharing below. This doesn’t sway my opinion about them at all.
Even if you don’t homeschool year-round, or even if you do – these Sonlight Summer Readers
(we got the Elementary Girls set) are a great addition to your summer reading!
As soon as we got them she barely let me open the box, hopped in her favorite chair, and began to read.
Our @sonlightcurriculum #SummerReaders came in today. This cutie couldn’t wait to dive right in. Find these at sonlight.com/summer #SheLovesBooks #BookLovers #Homeschool #HomeschoolRocks #HomeschoolMom #LoveToLearn #Homeschooling #LifeOfAHomeschooler #HomeschoolLife #LearnAtHome #HomeschoolCurriculum #HowWeHomeschool #ILoveHomeschooling #HomeschoolDays #BreakTheMold #BeDifferent #LatinaHomeschooler #TexasHomeschoolers #TexasHomeschool #sonlightstories
Reading is one of the most essential things that contributes to a child’s development. The brain is a muscle and reading helps strengthen it, much like exercise does to our body muscles. Their language skills improve, develop, and increase through reading. Reading also helps kids learn how to focus, thus improving their overall listening skills too. (we’d all love our kids to listen better, eh?)
In this readers kit we got a total of 5 books:
- Just the Tates: Switcharound
- Two siblings reluctantly head to their dad’s house for the summer. There, they realize that Caroline is expected to babysit her twin siblings (that she didn’t know existed) and J.P. is supposed to coach the 6-year-old’s baseball team. Both feel completely out of their element, but after a time, they realize they can work in their unique gifts and help the family. Cheery story with good character growth.
- Bear on the Loose
- Homeschooling Hilde writes her own online newspaper for the locals. When she hears reports of a bear on the loose, she and her older sister investigate to determine what happened and report on it fairly. Charming.
- The Un-Friendship Bracelet
- Best friends Emily and Maddie love to create. When new student Bella joins their class, Maddie discovers that she, too, is really crafty. But Emily is feeling left out. Then Emily discovers that her classmate Sam also loves to create. But will these four talented young people ever work together? Or is the Emily and Maddie friendship doomed? With easy-to-read language and illustrations on almost every page, this is a great story for emerging readers.
- Hero Dog!
- When all three of the top dessert-makers in the community suffer vandalism right before a bake-off, young reporter Hilde investigates. Will she be able to determine a motive and apprehend the perpetrator? Enjoyable.
- The Adventures of a South Pole Pig
- Flora the pig longs for adventure, and after seeing sled dogs in training, determines to join a sled team. When her ship wrecks off Antarctica, Flora becomes a sled pig, as she and her unlikely companions race to save the desperate crew. A poignant tale of a purposeful pig, charming and tender.
Don’t forget to check this set out on Sonlight! They have them for boys too as well as for older ages!
Enter the giveaway below for a chance to WIN a set of your own! (closes May 31st)