Disclosure: I received a free course in exchange for my honest review. All opinions expressed are my own. I was compensated for my time. For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
Writing is much more than putting words on paper (or screen). It’s about connecting thoughts, finding the right words or phrases to express those thoughts, and piecing those together to formulate a complete written work, which communicates a message well.
My daughter loves reading, and devours new books in just a few days. I assumed this would make her a good writer. But during our previous school year I noticed that she needed to work on her writing skills.
So, as I prepared for our 2014-2015 school year I knew ahead of time that I wanted to see my daughter’s writing skills improve. We are heading into our first year of middle school (7th Grade), and I would like to use this year to work on her writing skills as much as I can.
Improve Writing Skills
Enter Fortuigence. When my daughter began her course with Fortuigence I let her take things at her pace, not mine. I helped her understand the classroom portal, and helped her understand how she would submit her work.
After that, I just let her navigate the course on her own. I wanted to see where she really was with her writing skills, and after hearing the wonderful encouragement from Lily during a hangout, I hoped to see her course be the tool to help my daughter improve her writing skills.
After the first class, I knew this was going to be a fruitful and amazing experience! From the very beginning Lily was personally involved with my daughter. One of my concerns was that everything would be systematic, but that was not the case.
Let me back up a bit.
Each lesson consists of 3-4 parts.
- Part 1: A video with a brief orientation of the lesson.
- Part 2: An audio file (with a simple click to play button) that is an exact account of the lesson text.
- Part 3: Lesson text. In this section there are also resource links and samples to other students work to serve as a model reference of the assignment. Lily encourages the students to save the resources to form their own Essay Rock Star Resource Notebook!
- Part 4: Submit assignment. This is where they upload their work and submit it for review.
That’s the breakdown of each lesson, some may not have a video – but most do. Back to my concern of the course being systematic and disconnected. It was not! Every single time my daughter submitted an assignment, she would receive a personal response via email from Lily (her instructor).
Lily would offer feedback and let her know if she opened up the next lesson for her. If Lily found that my daughter needed to work on her assignment some more, all of that interaction happened via email. It was a wonderful experience! If she had any questions, she could email Lily anytime to ask.
There is also an option within the student portal to submit questions to the instructor, but we enjoyed the personal touch through the email communications.
Fortuigence: Online Writing Course
Fortuigence provides students with the opportunity to master their writing skills. They offer five courses:
- Essay Rock Star
- Essay Rock Star: The Personal Statement
- Essay Rock Star: The Persuasive Essay
- Essay Rock Star: The Expository Essay
- Essay Rock Star: The Textual Analysis
You can check out all the details of each of these course HERE.
What makes Fortuigence writing programs stand out:
- No scheduled classes,
- A live trained teacher reviews students’ work,
- Teachers work with parents to accommodate special needs learners,
- When you start and finish the course is completely up to you,
- We work toward the goal of skills mastery for your kids, however long it takes!
A Discount Code and Freebie for You!
- Now through August 18th you can save 25% on any Essay Rock Star Course. Use coupon code: 505-0-520893
- Download your FREE ebook: End Blank Page Terror Forever: 24 Pre-Writing Tools and Guidebook to Organize Content, Take Notes with Ease and Make Your Kids Confident Writers!It’s good for kids of all ages! This ebook will help them (and you) to get started writing.
One winner will receive their choice of an Essay Rock Star Course. Contest ends 8/22/2014 at 11:00am EST
**Entry in the contest means that you agree to be added to the Fortuigence mailing list. You can unsubscribe at any time.