We love crafting, and we LOVE the Dollar Store!!
Today we’re making Pencil Holders (or whatever you would like to put in them)!!
- Popsicle Sticks – aka Crafter Sticks (I bout them in the generic tan color and in multi color ~ at the dollar store)
- Glue or ModPodge (you can make ModPodge from regular glue by mixing two parts glue and one part water. I had ModPodge and Glue already, but the dollar store carries glue as well)
- Cardstock, or poster board (I used cardstock because I had it, but the dollar store dose carry poster board)
For decorating, the sky is the limit! BUT we used:
- Paints (from the dollar store)
- Brushes( from the dollar store)
- Glue Glitter (from the dollar store, plus some I already had)
- Glitter (we had some at home, but the dollar store has glitter too)
So now to the details:
- First, I measured out the circumference I wanted. Because I was using cardstock, I just used the shortest side ( of my 8×11 sheet).
- I then measured 3.5inch in and cut. So my rectangle was 8.5×3.5. I choose 3.5 because my crafter sticks were about an inch longer than that. But, if you’d like for it all to measure up together, you can do that as well.
- I cut out two identical rectangles and glued them together for extra durability.
Next, we started to glue on our sticks, leaving a little space inbetween each one.
After this you can jump to decorating it, to then join the two ends. OR you can join the two ends and the decorate it. One of my kiddos did it one way, the other did it the other way. I personally think it works just a little bit easier if you join the two ends AFTER you decorate.
Once the two ends are joined let it dry for a few minutes. If you would like to seal the bottom, you can just trace the bottom, cut it out, and glue it to the bottom. After we traced ours, I added little “flaps” to the circle, so they could be glued to the inside wall of the pencil holder, for better stability and to keep it in it’s place.
And so finally, here is what ours turned out like:
See you tomorrow, for another Dollar Store Craft!!!
For the rest of the posts in this series click here.
Head on over to check out the other bloggers who are participating in the 5 day hopscotch at iHomeschool Network